Thursday, May 1, 2008

Autographs














I love Autograph Wednesdays at the ballpark. It's fun meeting the players and watching kids get their first autograph on a ball, listening to parents explain who the player is they're in line for, and of course there's the guy hoping to turn a profit for his time spent in line.

I enjoy looking at their signatures. Gerald Laird has a real pretty signature, it looks like it came off the Declaration of Independence. Elvis Andrus in the Minors scribbles fancy too. I love how some of them shorten it, like Ben Broussard, his is B B squiggle. Gotta love C.J. Wilson's, his begins with a star. John Wetteland gives ya a scripture with his autograph. PS 9:10

Occasionally players are asked to sign things other than a baseball or a baseball card........

Last month my son went with us to to a minor league game in Corpus Christi. We watched the Frisco Rough Riders play the Corpus Christi Hooks. Anyway, he is a bit of a character and it's amplified when he gets bored. See pic above.
He decided he wanted to get autographs with his sister from the CC Hooks players. My son didn't have a ball like his sister had, but he did have a travel sized tube of toothpaste from the hotel. He asked #10 outfielder Mitch Einertson to sign his toothpaste. I wish I could have seen the look on his face; I'm told he looked confused and wasn't sure he heard right, then he said, "Huh?".
But bless his heart he signed that toothpaste as though it was just another ball.

Erin

2 comments:

Craig Stambaugh said...

The joys of being at the ballpark are not confined to what happens between the foul lines.

Micah said...

I love this story!! :) Clearly, your family has a lot of fun together.